Today Mac OS X devices are widely used among computer users for different purposes either for documenting some information or saving other data. In Mac, you can mail merge documents with pages and numbers by using mail merge utility. Its a tool that generates mass mailings like form letters. Mail merge document will contain unique information such as, names and addresses and even the data which is standard throughout each document. Now, you might thinking how to create mail merge documents with pages and numbers.
Well, it is not a feature that is directly built into either app of Apple’s Numbers and Pages. It is possible with the aid of AppleScript. You will have 3 different options that comes with a mail merge are,
- A data file where your recipients are saved.
- A form file where you design your merge.
- Finished documents that combine the information from your data file along with the text into your merge document for creating individual documents for recipients.
To create a mail merge in Pages, you need to set up your document with placeholder text and then connect your data source a link your placeholders to your data. On completion of that, you must select to print or save the merged document with pages.
You need to start with creating a Pages document which would serve as template for your merged documents. Now, you can insert real or fake names, addresses, email ids, contact numbers, and many more for placeholder text that will replaced later with merged data. In case Format pane is not there, then you need to click on Format button in Pages Toolbar and simply click the more tab. Now, choose first placeholder entry and then from Pages Format menu, select Advanced > Define As Placeholder Text. A Script tag screen will be displayed in the Text Pane to the right. Enter the name of your placeholder – firstname, address, phone, matename, etc. into this field. Repeat this for each bit of text that you like to use it as a placeholder.
Now, you launch Numbers and create a spreadsheet which consists of columns for every entry. Here, the column header may not match with the placeholder names that you have created. Choose all the rows which contain data you want to merge. After this, launch the Pages Data Merge Application to start with the process.
Steps to mail merge documents with pages and numbers are,
- Choose Selection of Numbers Table from the pop up menu and tap on Import button. Here, the info from first column in Numbers document will be displayed in Data Records area.
- Select first item in the list and click on pop-up menu to the second step where you can see the list of all placeholders that were created in Pages document. Choose the one that is associated with entry you have highlighted. When you choose in second step, its name would be displayed under Assigned Placeholder Tags heading in first step. Repeat for all entries.
- Now, you can select how your merged documents will be named. By default, the merged documents will be assigned with Pages document name followed by a number. You can change it, by first selecting the name of recipient and then choose Assign for use with File Naming from pop-up menu.
- Choose export file format, where you will produce a Pages of Word and PDF, (encrypted or not), ePub or unformatted text document for each merged file.
- Select Export Folder and choose a destination location for your merged copies.
- Now, to mail merge documents, enable Attach option and then enter a subject heading and message.
A copy of your merged documents with Pages and Numbers will be sent to addresses that you have mentioned in your Numbers documents.