Today, we have lots of video file formats to store videos depending on your necessity. Well, in this page, we are discussing the difference between MP4 and MOV video file formats. Though both are lossy file formats there are lots of differences among them. Here we provide a detailed description of MP4 or MOV, read this and know which suits you better.
MP4 vs MOV Video Formats
MP4 is a container format which is capable of storing different video, audio data, subtitles, and graphics. This format is based on QuickTime MOV and has various extension names such as m4a and m4p. It even allows advanced content such as 3D graphics, menus and user interactivity.
Just like MP4, MOV is also a container format which can save animation, videos, graphics, 3D and virtual reality (VR) content. Previously, it was available for Apple but now it’s available even for Windows and Mac OS. MOV files are compressed and easy to stream from the internet to computer or other portable devices.
In terms of quality, MP4 and MOV are container formats which uses MPEG-4 and the lossy compression even video quality is pretty much same. To main difference between MP4 and MOV in terms of video quality is its file quality vs size issue. Other than these factors, MOV and MP4 are almost interchangeable in an Apple environment.
Coming to the files size, we will consider quality and compression degree. If MP4 and MOV files with the same compression settings are put together then the output size of the MOV is larger compared to MP4. As the file size is smaller than upload, download and stream rate is faster. Hence, when compared with MOV and MP4, MP4 is the better in terms of speed or spaces.
As MOV is developed by Apple, it is compatible with Mac platform, Apple devices such as iPad, iPhone, iPod and even with Windows platform. Players like QuickTime player, Windows media player, and Real Player support MOV. However, in this regard, MP4 is better than MOV as it is supported by most media players, Blu-ray/DVD players, online streaming etc.
- MP4 is better choice to play on mobiles
- Supports multiple types of data such as object descriptors, scene descriptors and other object oriented file structures, MPEG features and so on.
- MP4 can run virtually on all the media players, mobile devices, and stream over the internet compared to MOV
- Gives high-quality output as that of DVD
- Compatible with a low bandwidth so that it will be faster to stream online or download/upload.
- Enhances the high resolution by making use of the latest codec H264.
- MOV is better for Mac or Apple devices than MP4
- Offers high-quality files for recording, sharing and storing digital multimedia.
- MOV is supported by many free media players like QuickTime player, Windows media player, and Real Player.
- The size of MOV files varies based on the length and compression type. However, MOV is usually larger than other media formats including MP4.
Well, based on your requirement, choose the best video format. You may save your video files on various storage devices but never let it go. Yes! In case, if you accidentally delete or lose MOV or MP4 video files then make use of Remo Recover tool. With this tool, you can recover deleted MP4 files or MOV file and even restore missing video files due to various reasons. Other than MP4 / MOV video formats, this utility supports AVI, 3G2, 3GP, RM, MP4, and so on.
Recover tool by Remo comes handy even in the following scenarios:
- To restore files emptied from Recycle Bin / Trash
- Supports retrieval of deleted, formatted or corrupt files from various storage devices
- Also, restore pictures and audio files, raw images of various formats
- Provides free demo version to evaluate the recovery results
- Compatible on Windows and Mac OS